Banks in Spain
The Spanish financial system distinguishes between private banks and public savings banks (Cajas de Ahorro). The Spanish financial market is monitored by the country’s central bank – Banco de España.
There are more than 30 nationally represented banks in Spain as well as various regional banks, which services and fees vary widely. The two largest banks are the BBVA (Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria) and the Santander Central Hispano.
Major banks in Spain
The list of leading banks in Spain includes the following financial institutions:
- Santander Central Hispano
- Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
- Caixa d´Estalvis i Pensions of Barcelona “la Caixa”
- Savings Bank of Madrid
- Banco Popular Español
- Savings Bank of Valencia, Castellón and Alicante (Bancaixa )
- Banco Sabadell
- Caixa d’Estalvis de Catalunya
- Savings Bank of the Mediterranean
- Savings Bank of Galicia
- Savings Bank of Zaragoza, Aragon and La Rioja
- Bilbao Bizcaia Kutxa
- Spanish Investment Fund
- Savings Bank Vigo, Ourense, Pontevedra (Caixanova)
- Savings Bank of Salamanca and Soria / CajaDuero)
- Savings Bank of Guizpúzcoa San Sebastián
- Deutsche Bank – Spain
- Banco Pastor
As a rule, banks in Spain are open from Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 14:00 and closed on weekends. Some major banks’ branches in big cities are also on Saturdays from 8:30 to 13:00.
Currency and Payments
As in most EU countries, Spain also has the euro as its national currency. Major credit cards are also accepted in banks, hotels and many shops for cashless payments. EC ATMs allow you to withdraw money around the clock and are usually also widely represented throughout the country.
List of Banks in Spain
Banks' Branches and ATMs in Spain
Trying to find a bank branch or ATM in Spain?
Choose your bank from the list below, click on the title and get the full list of branches/ATMs with addresses, contacts and opening hours.
SWIFT/BIC Codes of Banks in Spain
Full list of Spanish banks’ BIC/SWIFT codes that are used to make domestic and international payments and money transfers in Spain.