Banks in Hong Kong
As one of the five largest financial centers in the world, Hong Kong has one of the highest concentrations of banking institutions in the world, with 70 of the 100 largest banks in the world.
The banking system of Hong Kong has a threefold system of custodial institutions, consisting of the following categories:
- Banks with a license offer checking and savings accounts and perform regular functions, such as accepting deposits or receiving checks from customers
- Banks with a restricted license, mainly engaged in capital market activities and can accept commercial banking activities and deposits of at least 500,000 Hong Kong dollars
- Depositary firms offer specialized services, including securities and consumer loans, and can accept deposits for an amount of at least 100,000 Hong Kong dollars with an initial term of at least three months.
They are all collectively known as authorized institutions controlled by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA).
In total, 238 recognized institutions with more than 1.3 thousand local branches operate in the Hong Kong financial market:
- 154 licensed banks
- 19 banks with a limited license
- 17 deposit companies in operation
- 48 local representation offices of foreign banks
Top ten banks in Hong Kong
- HSBC (Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation)
- Bank of China Hong Kong
- Hang Seng couch
- Standard charter bank Hong Kong
- Bank of East Asia
- ICBC (Industrial and commercial bank of China)
- DBS Bank Hong Kong
- Wing Hang Bank
- Nanyang Commercial Bank
- CITIC Bank International
Typical opening times for banks in Hong Kong are:
- Monday – Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (or 4:30 PM)
- Saturday from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM (except for certain branches).
Hong Kong currency
Official Hong Kong currency is the Hong Kong dollar (HKD). Also, the Chinese currency (RMB) is acceptable for some stores and restaurants in Hong Kong.
Banks' Branches and ATMs in Hong Kong
Trying to find a bank branch or ATM in Hong Kong?
Choose your bank from the list below, click on the title and get the full list of branches/ATMs with addresses, contacts and opening hours.