Landesbank Hessen-Thüringen Girozentrale (Helaba) is a commercial bank with stem regions in Hesse and Thuringia focused on wholesale banking.
The bank is also a Landesbank for the two federal states, a local bank for their communities and composite bank for the local savings banks. As of July 2012, it took over the business of the former WestLB Group bank for the savings banks in North Rhine-Westphalia and Brandenburg.
With approximately 6,000 employees, the Helaba Group is one of the major German Landesbanken. Helaba is a public institution with head offices in Frankfurt am Main and Erfurt. The bank has branches in Kassel (National Loans Fund of Kassel), Offenbach, since July 2012 in Dusseldorf, as well as in New York, London, Paris, and Dublin, and also represented in Madrid, Moscow, and Shanghai. The Group includes the Frankfurter Sparkasse, the subsidiaries Helaba Invest investment company, Frankfurter Bank Company and OFB Group, which is engaged in real estate development projects.
The company’s line “Wholesale Business” includes financial services companies, banks, and institutional investors.
The division “Private Customers and SME Business” in addition to the composite Bank include the Landesbausparkasse Hessen-Thüringen, Frankfurter Sparkasse with 1822direkt and the Frankfurt banking company (Switzerland) AG.
In the “Public Development and Infrastructure Business” as a third business line, Helaba takes on economic and infrastructure Hessen (WIBank) on behalf of the State of Hesse public support tasks, in particular in the areas of housing and urban development, infrastructure, industry, agriculture, and the environment.
Affiliates and subsidiaries
- Frankfurter Sparkasse
- 1822direkt company Frankfurter Sparkasse mbH
- Frankfurt banking company (Switzerland) AG
- Helaba Invest
- Non-profit housing society Hesse (GWH)
- OFB Project Company GmbH
- GGM Society for Building Management
- HIB Helaba company for real estate appraisal
- Helaba Dublin
- Hannover Leasing (44.79%)
Helaba is a legal entity under public law. The bodies of the Bank are the Meeting, the Board of Directors and the Executive Board.
Ownership and support
After the takeover of the composite business of WestLB (July 1, 2012):
- Savings Banks and Giro Association Hesse-Thuringia (68.85%)
- Land Hessen (8.1%)
- Free State of Thuringia (4.05%)
- Savings Banks and Giro Association (4.75%)
- Savings Banks Association of Westphalia-Lippe (4.75%)
- FIDES Beta GmbH (4.75%) (in trust for the DSGV)
- FIDES Alpha GmbH (4.75%) (in trust for the regional savings banks associations)
Prior to the acquisition of the composite business of WestLB
- Savings Banks and Giro Association Hesse-Thuringia (85%)
- State of Hesse (10%)
- Free State of Thuringia (5%)
- Total assets EUR 176.5 billion
- Employees: 6,500